Monday, December 20, 2010

Seven Doulas for Seven Moms

Apparently there was something in the water this weekend and EVERYONE and their sister went into labor. This is what it looks like... when doulas cry.

6am Saturday morning, a doula named Amadoma called me. I said, "How are you?" to which she replied, "I'm so stressed out!" She had three clients go into labor at the same time. Her back-up doula, Erin, was at another birth, and Erin also had three clients go into labor at once. So Amadoma found another doula, Alison, to cover her, but then that Alison had an asthma attack in the middle of the birth. So Amadoma called me. So I went to that birth. But then, one of my clients went into labor. And my back-up, Koyuki, had a cold. Thankfully, mama #1 labored fast and mama #2 labored slow. I left mama #1, went home, showered, ate, soaked my feet in hot water, and went to mama #2.

That's 7 moms for 3 doulas. All the moms eventually got doulas, after lots of frantic phone calling. WHEW!

In other news, Choices in Childbirth released the 2011-2012 New York Guide to a Healthy Birth today! After visiting a client for a postpartum follow-up, I walked over to CIC's headquarters to pick up my copies. It's beautiful! You can pick up copies at any maternity-centered place (clothing stores, yoga studios, etc, Metro Minis included obviously) or order copies (paying only for shipping) from CIC here.

And to finish up, here is a cartoon depicting the 7 babies who just got born this weekend. OMG.

No comments:

Post a Comment